The way in which an air conditioning system is used contributes to whether it is eco friendly or not. For those interested in having a smaller carbon footprint – i.e. using less of the earth’s resources, can easily adopt a few techniques to ensure their air conditioner runs in a way that is more efficient. Not only will they use less power, it will cost them less over the life of the unit so they are saving. Often, what is good for the earth brings financial benefits to us as well.
Here are 17 tips to ensure your air conditioner use is eco friendly.
- Make sure you close windows and doors when the air con is on.
- Seal all those gaps around the doors and windows and anywhere else you can find them.
- If possible, set the thermostat for between 24-26C in the summer as a temperature below that will increase the cost of running it by 10%. This may not be possible in heatwave conditions.
- When the outside temperature drops, turn the a/c off and open all the doors and windows. Use a fan to help circulate cool air as fans take less power.
- Open windows to the prevailing breeze and have another window opposite it open to help the air flow through. This can often be enough without the a/c.