The way in which an air con is used contributes to whether it is eco friendly or not. For those interested in having a smaller carbon footprint – i.e. using less of the earth’s resources, can easily adopt a few techniques to ensure their air conditioner runs in a way that is more efficient. Not only will they use less power, it will cost them less over the life of the unit so they are saving. Often, what is good for the earth brings financial benefits to us as well.
Here are 17 tips to ensure your air conditioner use is eco friendly.
- Make sure you close windows and doors when the air con is on.
- Seal all those gaps around the doors and windows and anywhere else you can find them.
- If possible, set the thermostat for between 24-26C in the summer as a temperature below that will increase the cost of running it by 10%. This may not be possible in heatwave conditions.
- When the outside temperature drops, turn the a/c off and open all the doors and windows. Use a fan to help circulate cool air as fans take less power.
- Open windows to the prevailing breeze and have another window opposite it open to help the air flow through. This can often be enough without the a/c.
- Use the economy setting; you don’t really need to have it freezing.
- Close off rooms you are not using, so they are not cooled or heated unnecessarily.
- Use rubber backed curtains for insulation on windows where the sun shines in. Keep the curtains closed while the sun is shining on them.
- Using a portable fan with the air conditioner will help to circulate the cold air and eliminate hot spots.
- If your air compressor is located outside in a west facing spot, try and shade it with shade cloth, or an awning. Be careful not to restrict air flow around the unit.
- Make sure to keep bushes and grass from growing into the unit.
- Get regular servicing and maintenance.
- Always clean the filters when they are due and replace them when they are worn out.
- Grow conifers along the western side of the house if possible to help throw shade.
- During summer, after the house cools off overnight, shut the windows and doors early the next morning to keep the cool air in.
- Check the ducting if you have ducted a/c to ensure it is not torn as leaking ducts only cool the roof cavity, not your rooms.
- Don’t use ceiling fans in really hot weather as they only push the hot air back down. But use them in the winter to send the hot air that rises back to your cold floor.