Skin is one of the most important parts of the body. Not only does it hold everything in place, it acts as a protective layer, a third kidney and an insulating blanket for our organs. Smooth skin can make us look younger than we are, while wrinkled skin will make us look much older. Often, we put our skin into danger of being ruined without even realising it. Here’s how.
- We don’t shower after swimming in the pool or the ocean. Chlorine and salt are both really drying to the skin and should be washed off with lots of soap. We should then smooth on moisturiser.
- We may go outside without sunscreen. The effects of UV radiation on the skin is very aging. If you can, notice English people or those who come from cold countries. Their skin is much more youthful looking than many Australians because they don’t spend hours in the sunshine due to the cold weather in their country.
- Getting too close to a bonfire or a barbeque. The effect of fire and heat on our skin can truly burn and wrinkle it. Some skin types are more susceptible than others, but once those wrinkles have formed it is too late to find out if yours is.
- Sitting too close to a radiant heater in the winter can also dry out your skin.
- Going to bed without removing make-up. This can lead to blocked pores, skin infections and even acne. Besides which, the make-up gets into the pillow fabric and will smear onto clean skin. Keep those make-up wipes next to your bed to avoid the risk.
- Drinking too much coffee is a good way to wrinkle your skin. Coffee contains caffeine that dehydrates your skin and causes wrinkles. If you can’t do without your caffeine fix, drink a glass of water after each cup.
- Popping pimples forces dirt and bacteria into the skin and can make pimples worse and skin red and scaly.
- Skipping meals can deprive your skin of the nutrients it needs to keep healthy, so can going on a diet that is not right for you. Vitamins B3, C, A and E are all essential for good skin health.
- Eating junk foods can ruin the look of your skin.
- Not getting enough sleep can make your skin look haggard, especially in the face.
- Forgetting to moisturise the skin after a shower will help to dry it out.
- Sunbaking is not only dangerous due to skin cancer concerns, it damages the skin even as it tans.
If you have dry skin, it is essential to moisturise it with a quality product if you don’t want to be a mass of wrinkles once you turn 30.